It's vital we act responsibly where the environment is concerned. We aim to minimise carbon emissions and energy, water and paper usage by providing adequate facilities and encouraging the right behaviour.
- Customers: We work in partnership with our customers to enable them to act in an environmentally friendly way, offering services and tools that effectively reduce their footprint on the planet. Customers also have the option to offset carbon emissions relating to the distribution and delivery of their mailings.
- Employees: We seek to reduce unnecessary travel by employees, encouraging alternative means of commuting, such as car sharing, and reduce unnecessary travel by using remote conference calls and Skype. Employee commuting decreased by 13.5%, and business travel decreased by 16.7% between 2016 and 2017.
- Our vehicles: We continually invest in our transport fleet to help reduce hydrocarbons. We use real-time data to avoid traffic delays and road closures minimising travel time. We operate double decker trailers to optimised our load capacity and reduce the number of vehicles on the road. We have carried out successful trials of electric vans for our collections services and have identified routes where these will be suitable. Range is still an issue but is improving all the time and so we see electric vans as a solution at a number of depots.
- Our depots: We reduce our environmental impact through setting targets, underpinned by improvements plans and performance measures.
Utilities such as Gas and Electricity contribute to just over 6% of our carbon emissions. In 2019 we increased spend with an electricity provider to enable a zero-carbon source. This changed occurred in Q4 2019 and we can already see the benefits from this with a significant reduction in our Scope 2 CO2e.
Our consumption has also reduced and this is as a result of an investment in newer and more efficient buildings. These buildings have more roof light and improved building management systems. We will continue to make these investments where lease events allow.
- Packaging and recycling: We recycled a total of 922.09 tonnes in 2019, a 24% increase in our recycling efforts versus 2018. We reclaimed 489.47 tonnes in 2019, with 0% going to landfill.Ethical Superstore (part of the Whistl group) continually strive to use materials that safeguard products and are environmentally friendly. Packing material used include: paper bubble wrap alternative, unbleached kraft roll, PVC free packing tape, reused cartons and 100% recycled paper void fill.