Traditionally with cross-dock fulfilment goods are received from a supplier or client based within the domestic country or from an international warehouse. The goods received are unloaded, checked, and sorted for despatch then directly reloaded onto outbound vehicles for their despatch journey.
Product orders going to the same destination can easily be consolidated for cost efficiencies for despatch and larger consignments are broken down into smaller groups, for easier deliveries.
Whistl's Cross-Dock Fulfilment Solution
Whistl creates a more tailored approach to cross-dock fulfilment. Where traditional cross-dock fulfilment looks only to handle fully sold stock, Whistl can work with brands to offer a cross-dock solution for a percentage of sold stock versus inventory items.
The process of cross-dock from Whistl creates improved cost efficiencies and despatch times, minimising the time that it takes for goods to arrive with the end customer. In addition, our tailored solution takes the ownership off of the business to sell all items, before suppliers send good for receipt scanning, and despatch.
What types of businesses would benefit from cross-dock fulfilment:
- eCommerce products
- Stable product demands and sales levels
- Pre-packed goods
- Time-sensitive or perishable goods
- Focused range or a small number of SKUs
- Daily deal/flash sales companies
What is the difference between Pick and Pack and Cross-Dock Fulfilment:
Pick and Pack
The supplier sends in mixed goods and products. These items are not typically packed and ready for despatch. On receipt of the goods, Whistl stores the items as stock inventory and then goods are picked and packed ready for despatch when a customer purchases the goods.
This process allows the client or supplier to send in consignments of complete pre-sold and pre-packed products or a consignment where a percentage of pre-sold goods are mixed with inventory stock.
The advantages of Cross-Dock Fulfilment:
- Product handling efficiencies, including cost savings on re-packaging, warehouse storage and inventory management
- Transparent goods handling process with improved automation of scanning and despatch
- Quicker customer deliveries, through improved despatch times. With sold goods being received and despatched within one day.
Share this article